Lorin:
“Lorin come out. It’s not you. It’s me. I made Ted cancel the date, all right? So come out already!” I heard Marcus tell me. What was Marcus doing in the girl’s toilet? And he was the one who made Ted cancel the date?
I opened the door and looked at him.
“Why?” I shouted. “Why did you do it?”
“Because he was using you!” Marcus shouted at me. Alexander and Annie looked at each other and moved back.
Those words made me feel like I was slapped.
“What?” I said, my voice barely a whisper.
“He was using you.” Marcus said again. “I overheard him. He was going to use you like a doll. He did it for fame. He knew he was going to break your heart but he didn’t care.”
“He’s that kind of person?” The girl, Annie from 4D said.
I was speechless. I didn’t know what to say.
“I’m sorry Lorin.” Marcus said. I looked at him, for the first time and noticed that he still looked like the Marcus I knew. Looking at him made me remember the old days. I smiled up at him, which took him aback.
“Thank you, Marc Marc.” I said, wrapping my arms around him and giving him a hug. I felt him relax and hug me back.
When I pulled apart, I looked at Alex and Annie and smiled.
“Alex. Do it.” I said. Annie and Marcus exchanged confused looks.
“B-but.” Alex said, becoming nervous.
“Go on!” I said. Alex cleared his throat and I pulled Marcus to me. We all watched Alex. Alex looked at Annie and took a deep breath.
“Annie,” he looked pleadingly at me then he turned back to Annie. “Will you go out with me and be my date for the Winter Formal?”
There was silence as Annie looked at me.
“But…isn’t he your escort? I saw him ask you out. You hugged him too.” She said. I recalled that memory and laughed.
“It’s a long story. But that was the day that Alex told me that he likes you.” I said. Annie looked at Alex and smiled.
“Yes.” She said, hugging Alex and tears came down her face. I smiled at Marcus, who smiled back at me.
“Guys,” Marcus said after a while. “Do you mind? I’m becoming uneasy being in the girl’s bathroom.” We all laughed.
Marcus:
“Marc Marc!” I heard someone call me and I found Lorin looking at me and smiling. Life had become perfect. Annie and Alex were ‘the hottest item’ in school and Lorin and I…well, we didn’t need to be ‘an item’. We were engaged anyway and it was the week of the Winter Formal. Okay, so we were just friends to her, but to me, we were engaged.
“Hey” I said, looking up from the railing where I was standing. “What’s up?”
She stood next to me and looked out to the open sea where I was looking at. We were on a small vacation in my family’s summerhouse, except its nearly winter, and we were sleeping over there for 3 nights. No parental supervision… hurrah. Not that I was thinking about bad stuff, I wasn’t…most of the time, but I only thought of how I could actually get to be with Lorin…
“It’s really beautiful here.” She commented, smiling at me which made my heart skip 2 beats.
“Yeah,” I said looking at her and I moved closer…
“So, let’s go? Alex and Annie are waiting for us. They’ve already finished cooking dinner.” She said, suddenly moving away. She didn’t notice that I was just going to kiss her. Oh damit.
I nodded with disappointment and we both went back inside and ate dinner. Thank goodness for Annie’s cooking.
“Hey, Alexander!” I said to Alexander during dinner “Some guys are having a party at the nearby beer house. You want to go?”
“You bet!” he said.
“Hun…” Annie said, shooting an annoyed look at Alexander.
“Don’t worry, baby.” Alexander said, wrapping an arm around her. “Just going to keep a lookout for Marcus. You know him. He can’t control himself.”
I rolled my eyes. HE wanted to party that badly too. He was a real party boy and I really can’t believe that he thought he was gay, according to him and Lorin. He was more like those jocks he hangs out with.
“You guys shouldn’t be going that often to those parties.” Lorin said.
“Aw come on, Lorrie! It’s just a party. We wanna have some fun.” I said to her. She looked at me, her eyes filled with an emotion I couldn’t see.
“I see…” she said coldly. “So hanging out with us isn’t fun?”
“I didn’t mean…” I started but she cut me off.
“You meant it Marcus.” She said, standing up. She turned to Alexander and Annie with a nod and left. I stared after her and after a while I heard the front door slam.
“You shouldn’t have done that, Marcus.” Annie said, looking at me with exasperation.
“What did I do?” I said angrily. “She started it.”
“It’s unbelievable how you guys like cat and dog but still stay friends.” Alexander commented. I looked at both of them whose arms were wrapped around each other.
That was how I wanted Lorin and I to be…but instead we were fighting. Fighting over stupid things, which she just couldn’t understand. Damnit, I don’t understand it either! I stood up, frustrated.
“Whatever, man.” I told Alexander. “I’ll see you in the party.”
I wore my jacket and went out the door with a slam and went on to the party. I needed a drink.
Lorin:
I wrapped my sweater around my cold body. I couldn’t understand Marcus. First we reconcile about our problems and then he says he wants to have fun so he invites us for an overnight trip. He said just hours ago when we had first arrived here, that it was the most enjoyable day of his life. Now he says he wants to have some fun. Wasn’t being with us fun? Wasn’t being with me fun?
I sat on the sand, letting the winds blow on my face and listening to the water. I needed time. I felt a little calm after watching the sky grow dark.
“Lorin?”
I turned to see Annie, barely visible because it was nighttime, standing behind me. I smiled up at her.
“Hi…” I said. She sat beside me.
“Funny of how I used to be jealous of you and Xander.” She commented. I gave a hollow laugh. Her new nickname for Alex, which was Xander…
“Xander and I wanted see if we could do anything to help patch you guys up.” She said.
I kept my eyes on the stars that were glowing in the sky above us.
“Don’t worry about it.” I said, my voice in a flat tone. “It was my fault anyway.”
“You shouldn’t gotten mad at him that quickly.” She said. “You know he didn’t mean it.”
I sighed, looking at her. “I know, Ann. But the point is, I was hurt that he thought being with us wasn’t fun enough.” I told her.
I saw her shrug her shoulders. “They are guys. You should know by now that they aren’t aware of how sensitive we are.” She told me, reaching out and giving my shoulders a reassuring squeeze. “If he doesn’t understand you, you understand him.”
I smiled gratefully at her.
“I guess you’re right. Where are they?” I asked.
“The party.” She answered.
“Oh…” I said. Typical. The party. “How long have I been out?”
“An hour or so.” She replied. “I was getting worried so I went to find you.”
“Oh…Thank you.” I said, thankful that I had someone to talk my problems to.
“Why don’t we go back? We can play a game of monopoly.” She suggested. I nodded and stood up, dusting sand off my pants.
We walked the long way back, talking like we had known each other longer than 2 weeks. I played monopoly with Annie, did the dishes and do anything to keep time going as I waited for Marcus. I wanted to apologize to him first but when 10 came, he still wasn’t back. By half past ten, I was getting worried when I heard the front door slam. I looked to see if Marcus was back but it was only Alex.
“Oh…welcome back.” I said.
“Hi Lorin... Marcus is being stubborn again. He still doesn’t want to leave. He’s drunk twice the amount I have drunk.” Alex said. I rolled my eyes.
“Fine” I said, sighing deeply and getting my sweater. “I’ll go get him”
I arrived shortly at the beerhouse. When I arrived there, I can’t believe how most of them were teens and they were serving them beer even they were below 18.
I spotted Marcus in a corner, stock of beer bottles piled on the table and he was still drinking, I guess, his 17th one.
I scowled and walked over to him but before I could reach him, I felt my hands being pulled by a teen my age who clearly seemed to be drunk. I also didn’t like the look on his face.
“Heey Baby.” He said, slurred and I could smell the alcohol in his breath. I tried to release his grip from my hands but I was a little too weak.
“Let me go.” I growled, glaring daggers at him. “Now.”
“Come on baby, don’t cha wanna have fun tonight?” he said again, moving closer, cornering me by a wall. I looked around, panicky. I hope people around us could see but they were all literally drunk.
“Let me go!” I said once again, my voice raising and shaking my hand hard.
“Come on baby, just fun” he said and leaned forward while I tried hard to kick him. But he was leaning so close, I could smell his stinking breathe near mines. Why did I have to come on my own? I could’ve asked Alex to come with me! I closed my eyes, fighting this dumb guy who was trying to kiss me. I didn’t even know his freaking name. Fighting him seemed to annoy him.
“Let me go! Let me go!” I shouted at him.
“Hold still you!” he cursed.
“Hey.” I heard someone say. I felt the guy in front of me moved.
“What do you want?” he snarled. “Can’t you see I’m busy?”
“I think the lady doesn’t want to be here with you.” The new guy said. His voice sounded familiar. I opened my eyes and I saw Marcus standing there.
“Mind your own damn business.” The guy in front of me said. I took this opportunity to kick him in his groin…a technique I learnt in martial arts class. He cursed but he didn’t let me go.
“Why you!” he said with another curse and he slapped me hard on the face.
“Let her go now.” I heard Marcus say, his voice so cold I shivered.
“No effing way, man. Go get your own girl and mind your damn effing business.” He said.
“You get your own girl.” Marcus said, shoving the guy and pulling me behind him.
“What’s your effing problem man?” the guy said, moving closer.
“Keep your hands off my girl!” Marcus shouted at him. I was taken aback, hearing him call me his girl. I wasn’t his girl…yet.
“Y-your girl? You’re crazy man. I found her first, get your own!” the guys said, shoving Marcus hard.
Then all hell broke loose.
Marcus pounced on the guy, punching him hard on the face.
“Marcus stop!” I screamed. But the two guys were too busy fighting each other. The people in the bar immediately pulled them off each other.
“Leave my girl alone!” Marcus shouted at him, shaking off the grip that the people had on him. He took my hand and pulled me outside without another word.
“M-Marcus?” I said softly. He stopped and took his hand off my hand, which I wanted him to keep holding…and vomited.
I wrinkled my nose in disgust. Marcus was wiped out. He had drunk too much.
“Come on.” I said, putting his arm over my shoulder and half dragged, half lead him back to the house.
I put him on his bed and looked at Marcus. He was a real mess. Alexander walked into the room, shaking his head.
“He’s a real mess.” Alex commented. Hey! That’s what I just said…. but I didn’t say that to him.
“Yeah, what am I supposed to do now?” I asked.
“You could start off by cleaning his face.” Alex said. I wrinkled my nose again.
“Oh well.” I sighed. Alex went back out and left me alone with Marcus. I sighed again. I took off his shoes and took a wet towel, wiping his face clean.
Marcus surprised me by taking my hand and pulling me to him. I landed on top of him.
“M-Marcus, what are you doing?” I asked, turning red.
“I lo-” he started but he didn’t finish. He cupped my face with his hands and raised his head, his lips moving toward mines. I gulped and closed my eyes, blushing furiously.

No comments:
Post a Comment