Lorin:
“Alex,” I asked “Are you sure about this?”
“Yeah. Come out already! We’ll be late for school!” Alex called out. I timidly stepped out of my room wearing the new outfit Alex helped me choose. It actually did look great on me!
“Honey,” my mom said. “You look great! Alex, I have to admit… you are a genius!”
Alex took a bow and held out his hands, like on those Shakespearean stories when they asked ladies to dance.
“Might I take thou to school?” Alex asked.
“Thou shall.” I answered taking his hand and we both laughed. Today, everything was going to change. The way I dress, even the way I go to school! Alex had his own car but he can’t drive it yet so they hired a driver for him.
When I sat down on his car, we started to talk about what we should do when we get to school.
“Do I have to hold your hand?” I asked.
“Yeah, because that’s what lovers do.” He said. I blushed when he said lovers. I don’t know why but I couldn’t really help it. I wasn’t exactly what you call ‘famous’ but I was known well enough.
We finally arrived at school.
“Ready?” Alex asked. I nodded nervously. He held out his hand and I placed my hands on his and he closed his hand around mine. He went out the car and I went out the car and we entered school, hand in hand.
I remember the last time I was holding a boy’s hand and that was Marcus. I wonder where he was now? I really missed him but I’m sill upset that he shouted at me and didn’t understand that my Daddy had died.
The first one who approached us were the ‘jocks’.
“Wow, it’s true huh?” One of them, I know as Kent, said.
“You bet, man.” Alex said.
Then the ‘famous girls’ came. Here’s how it was.
Famous girl: Like, OMG, so it’s like, true.
Me: Uh, like, yeah?
FG: Like, that’s like so awesome!
Alex: Like, Excuse us.
Of course, it was all over school by the time we got into the classroom. That’s not all. I overheard the girls behind us talking. Not about us but the new student in school.
“I heard he’s from London!” “Ooooh, A British! That’s sooo cool! He’s like, in this class too!” “OMG”
I raised my eyebrow at this. Wow, A Brit coming to my class? That I gotta see. I was just talking to Alex when I realized the class has hushed into whispers. I looked around.
“What’s happening?” I asked.
Alex pointed the front of the class, and my jaw dropped.
Marcus:
I walked along the hallway of Richardson International School.
I was still bummed about yesterday. If the lock hadn’t gotten stuck, I would’ve been able to see Lorin and apologized to her. Not to mention beat Alexander for being a bloody git.
“Omg, who’s that?” I heard a girl say. “He is so hot.”
Wow, hot? Perhaps I can actually steal Lorin from Alexander. –Evil laugh-
I looked at the map of the school and took a few minutes looking up and down to see in which floor I was in.
I started on my way again when I bumped into this girl. She had short black hair and hazel eyes. She actually looked weird since she was actually as bummed about something as I was bummed about Lorin dating Alexander. Bummer.
“Hullo,” I said in my acquire British accent. “Are you alright?”
The girl looked up suddenly.
“You are the new student everyone was talking about!” she said.
“Well, that’s me. New student who is British.” I said. “You looked bummed.”
“Hah,” she said bitterly. “I was hoping I could have a chance with the guy I like. Too bad. My chance is gone. He’s gotten a girlfriend.”
“Ah, that sucks.” I said, knowing how she felt. “I’m Marcus.”
“Annie.” She said. “Which class are you in?”
“4C.” I said “You?”
“Ah, 4D” she answered. “Well, you should go to your class now. I expect your teacher to be arriving soon.”
“Well, thanks. See ya around.” I said and I walked on. We had something in common. Bummed about our love ones getting taken. Ah, Bummer.
I finally found 4C and I looked at the class uncertainly. You could hear all the talking and noises. Ah well, the least I could do is go inside and get introduced.
What do you know, maybe a miracle can happen and suddenly Lorin is there. Haha. Who am I kiddin? Lorin can’t be in the same school as I am! There were so many schools in this city and Lorin being in my school is a miracle.
When I walked in, the class fell into hushed whispers and the first thing my eye caught was a girl with brown hair and green eyes. I could recognize her anywhere.
It’s a miracle! It was actually Lorin!
She saw me and her jaw dropped.
Lorin:
“Marcus!” I cried out disbelievingly, standing up. “You’re the new student?”
“Oh hey, small world.” He replied, nonchalantly. “Nice to see you again, Lorrie.”
The whispers became louder. Then teacher came in.
“Oh, Ms. MacDonnell!” he said. “You’ve met our new student, Marcus Brown?”
“No!” I said through gritted teeth. “This guy is a complete stranger and I do not know him.”
“Oh, yea? Neither do I!” he said, his accent actually British. The teacher was puzzled.
“Oh well,” The teacher said. “This is Marcus Brown everyone.”
“Hullo, guys” he said. He took a seat across from me and when I looked at him, he smirked at me. Wow, he became arrogant as well.
“You know him?” Alex asked. I knew the girls behind us were listening. I couldn’t tell Alex just yet.
“I’ll tell you later on.” I said. Alex nodded. I can’t believe he was actually here. Really! He must’ve been the guy Alex was taking about.
When lunch came, I pulled Alex towards the rooftop and we stood there. I took a few breathes of air then I started to tell Alex how we met, excluding the getting married part.
“And my Dad died so I couldn’t have a party. Then he called and shouted at me for not inviting him!” I said, remembering clearly what had happened that day.
“And you two are enemies now?” he asked, eating his sandwich with enthusiasm. Really. Enthusiasm.
“Not really.” I said. “We just haven’t been talking to each other for years. And now he comes back.”
“Do you like him?” Alex asked.
“What do you mean? Like like or like love?” I asked.
“Like love.” He replied.
I thought about it for a while. I mean… I used to like him. He was like a brother to me and he really cared about me before. I guess I still liked him now but it’s just too late for us to be together. He hates me.
I don’t hate him but that’s the problem…he hates me.
I looked at Alexander clearly in his eyes and said, “No. I don’t”
Marcus:
I stood there behind the door to the school roof and was listening to Lorin. I know it was eavesdropping and I don’t give a damn.
“Do you like him?” Alexander asked.
“What do you mean? Like like or like love?” Lorin asked.
“Like love.” Alexander replied. I listened carefully, hoping Lorin would say yes. If I know her well enough, she would say ‘No, he’s like a brother to me.’
“No.” Lorin said. “I don’t.”
That was all I had to hear. I went back down to the classroom feeling hurt. I guess it was my fault for being a brat but couldn’t she have said that she loves me like a brother?
“Hey!” I heard someone call. “Marcus, wait up!”
I turned around and found the girl earlier, Annie, running towards me.
“Oh. Hullo.” I said. “How are you?”
“Fine, now. There’s news all over the school. They said, you knew Lorin MacDonnell?”
I nodded glumly, feeling more bummed than before.
“I see! What kind of girl is she?” Annie asked as we walked along the corridor.
“Well…I don’t know her that well anymore. Perhaps you should ask her.” I said. “Why do you want to know anyway?”
“You see…the guy I like…It’s Alexander.” She said.
“You?” I asked, surprised. “That’s why you were bummed! Hey, I was bummed too. Not about Alexander but about Lorin!”
“Really? Wow…Do you like her?” Annie asked.
“Like her?” I whispered. “I love her!”
Annie looked at me with a smile. Then I suddenly had an idea. I know, deep in my ultra smart head, that Lorin still likes me. So I was going to do something even Einstein never thought of.
“Annie.” I said. “You love Alexander right?” She nodded, blushing.
“Well, I have a plan that can prove that Alexander and Lorin aren’t a good match and they will realize that too.”
“What’s your plan?” Annie asked.
“Well, It’s a very simple and easy plan.” I said with a grin. “And we’ll start tomorrow.”
Take that Einstein!
Lorin:
I woke up this morning and I realized that yesterday had passed so quickly. It was unbelievable. Sam, who had taken the liking of sleeping with me on my bed, looked up. I scratched behind his ears before getting ready for Alex to come pick me up.
“Mom.” I said, between my cereals. “Did you know Marcus is here?”
She looked at me. “Of course I know.” She said.
“Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked, shocked. “He is studying in my school right now.”
“I thought the both of you aren’t friends anymore? And I didn’t know he was going to be in your school, honey.” She said, wrapping something in plastic.
“Yeah, well, I still can’t believe you didn’t tell me.” I said with a sigh.
“Drop it dear.” My mom said. “Give this to Alexander will you? He asked for some more of these gingerbread cookies yesterday.”
“Yes mom.” I said taking the small bag. “Bye mom.”
“Bye honey” I heard her say. I still can’t believe she didn’t tell me!
Alex, who was very happy to receive my mom’s cookies, and I talked about gym class. Gym class, which is what we were having for the first period, was the favorite lesson for his football buddies, who he wants to convince that he isn’t Gay.
“See you outside, Lorin.” Alex told me with a wink as I went inside to change.
“Lorin, you are so lucky!” a girl from my class said.
“Oh,” I said, pretending to be in giggles. “I know.”
I was lucky that the guy who was pretending to be my boy friend was my best friend and that my ex-best friend who I didn’t want to see had come back from England. Wow, I was very lucky.
I finished dressing up and I went towards Alex who, looking very manly in his gym clothes, was getting ready. You know, warm ups and stuff. He saw me and waved at me and I walked towards him.
“I won’t be playing until the guys arrive so we have time to do what we talked about.” He said. I nodded and I sat down on the benches while he sat behind me and wrapped his hands around me. Hugging me from behind. That’s what we talked about. So that when his ‘mates’ see him, they would know that he loves a girl. Hah.
I heard a giggle and I saw the jerk, Marcus, flirting with this girl. That made me want to hit him with a baseball.
“Look at them Alex.” I said, turning away from the two figures. “Flirting with each other.”
“Ah” Alex said, amused. “Are you sure you don’t like him?”
“Of course I don’t!” I said, looking at Alex. “I told you that!”
“Then why are you jealous?” he asked. I was lost for words. I was actually jealous?
“ALEXANDER, it’s game time! Quit with all the lovey dovey stuff and get your ass right here!” One of his teammates shouted. I watched as he ran to play with his team. But I was still thinking... I didn’t like him…why did I get jealous?
Marcus:
“Are you sure about this, Marcus?” Annie asked me, nervously.
“Yeah.” I told her. “Don’t worry, it might work.”
“Huh, right.” She said. “Anything for Alexander.”
“Tis a good thing your class and my class are together for gym class.” I told her. She nodded.
“I always watched him during gym class. Only he never did notice me.” She said sadly.
We waited for Alexander and Lorin to show up. Alexander was the first to arrive. He did a lot of moves for warm up. Then he waved to someone and I saw Lorin approaching him. Hey, I felt like James Bond right now, spying on the both of them with a secret plan in mind.
I’m Bond, Marcus Bond. Agent double-oh-nine. That sounded good. I returned to watching Lorin and Alexander.
They were talking and they sat down. Alexander hugged Lorin from behind and that made both Annie and I stiffen.
“Let’s do it.” I said and Annie nodded.
I pretended to be talking to her while Annie let out a loud giggle.
“Oh Marcus, you are such a wonder guy!” she said loudly, looking now and then at Alexander.
“Of course,” I said and Annie giggled again. At the corner of my eye I saw Lorin look at us and turned back to Alexander, returning to the talk with him. Then they called Alexander and he went to play with the guys.
“Well, do you think it worked?” Annie asked. I smiled.
“I think it did.” I said. “Now time to play a little Tennis.” I saw Lorin make her way to the Tennis area. I’ll join her in a little game of Tennis.
“Mind if I use this racket?” I asked a girl nearby, with a smile. She glowed and handed me the racket without a word. I took it and went to the other side of the court. Lorin looked at me, shocked.
“What are you doing here?” she asked, then serving the ball.
“To play Tennis.” I said in a matter-of-fact tone, hitting the ball back at her.
“I know that,” she said. “There are other players there. Why here?”
“Cause I know you are the weakest of them all.” I said. We hit the ball to each other, without a single miss and everyone was watching the game with interest.
“Why are you doing this?” she asked suddenly, hitting the ball at me.
“Because.” I said. “I know you still like me.”
That made her mad. I could see it in her eyes as I hit the ball at her. She didn’t manage to hit it and it hit her, right in the nose and she fell. Everyone gasped.
“Oh shit,” I said. “Sorry!”
“The game is still on, you moron.” She told me. She stood up, her nose bleeding. She hit the ball one last time and this time I couldn’t hit it. It was too fast. And it hit me right down there and it had hurt like hell.
Lorin:
The ball had hit me right in the face and I heard my nose break. I stood up, knowing that my nose was bleeding right now. That was the last straw. I was getting back at him.
I hit the ball hard towards him and it hit him right where I wanted it to hit, his groin. Marcus dropped his tennis racket and red face; fell on his knees in, obvious agony.
“Marcus!” I heard a girl shout.
“Lorin!” I heard Alex call. Alex ran towards me and took my hand, leading me to the nurse’s office. I look back angrily at Marcus, who was still on the floor with pain with the girl kneeling over him and I followed Alex to the nurse’s office. The only reason I couldn’t hit the ball was when he told me he knows I love him. That wasn’t true and never will be…
“You have to rest for a day.” The doctor told me, at home. “No school.”
“Oh okay.” I said, touching the bandage gingerly, which was on my nose.
“It will heal but it’ll take a while. Your nose isn’t really that broken. Which is lucky. The ball, hit you right at the left cheek and at left part of your nose. If you rest, you will be fine.” The doctor said. I nodded.
My mom came in the room with Alex.
“Wow, that’s one nasty hit.” Alex commented.
“You shouldn’t have hit Marcus back, Lorin.” My mom said disapprovingly.
“Well, he deserved it.” I said, since my nose my broken, I sounded like I had a cold or something. Damn that moron.
“Honey, you shouldn’t revenge on people.” My mom said. “I want you to apologize to Marcus at once.”
“No way!” I said then suddenly flinching because my nose hurt.
“Lorin Rosella MacDonnell!” my mom said in a serious tone. “Apologize to Marcus or I’ll have you grounded, young lady.”
I scowled. “Fine.” I said. My mother left me alone with Alex, who put a supportive arm around me. I explained to Alex what had happened in the gym.
“Well, are you going to apologize to Marcus?” he asked.
“I don’t know.” I said, rubbing my forehead. “I’m sure he hates me now as much as he hated me before!”
“Hate you?” Alex asked, surprised. “Lorin, why should he hate you?”
“I don’t know. All I know is that he hates me…” I said. “I’ll rest now, Alex. Maybe I’ll see you in school.”
“Lorin, are you sure you want to go to school sooner?” he asked. I nodded with a smile.
“ Well, see you at school then.” He said, giving me a brief hug then with a last mysterious smile, he left. I hugged him back and wondered, how could a guy like him ever be gay?
I would have to wonder about that later on. Now I don’t know if I should swallow my pride and apologize to Marcus. I fell on my pillows with a groan.
Marcus:
“So you’re telling me, you told her that you know she still loves you and that’s when she didn’t hit the ball?” Annie asked me after school in the nurse’s office that day.
I nodded.
“That was the most stupidest thing I have ever heard.” She cried out. “Why did you do that?”
“Huh? I know it’s true!” I protested. “Why did she get angry then?”
“Marcus, you idiot.” She said placing her hands firmly on the chair I was sitting on for the past hours. “Who cares if you are right? She would never admit it.” She slapped her hands on her forehead and sank on the chair beside mines.
“Marcus. You tell me you love her. But how can she love you if she is mad at you and both of you aren’t friends anymore?” Annie said. “Wake up Marcus. This isn’t exactly dreamland anymore.”
I thought about what she had said. Maybe she was right…I was dreaming and following what was happening in my dreams. Only it wasn’t working out the way I planned.
“Then what do you suggest I do?” I asked her. After all, she was a girl. She knew how Lorin was feeling and maybe I could ask her for help.
“Look. I know you are a guy and you love your ego, all right? But the thing is, if both of you keep playing cold to each other and none of you want to apologize, then things would only become worst. Girls always wait for the guys to apologize first before saying they also made a mistake. Now, swallow your pride and apologize to her about everything and tell her the TRUTH.” She said, emphasizing on the word.
“B-but…” I protested. This was crazy! Swallow my pride and apologize? Haha! I’d rather swallow a ball of fire than my pride.
“Read my lips.” I said. “No…effing…way!”
Annie rolled her eyes and folded her hands across her chest.
“Fine.” She said. “Be that way, Marcus. I had already given you help and told you what to do. Why don’t you go ahead with your plan and I’ll lie back and enjoy the show.”
“But if I apologize to her, she would just laugh at me.” I said. I couldn’t show up and say ‘I’m sorry for everything…friends?’ Knowing Lorin, she would slam the door shut on my face before I can say a word.
“Come on!” Annie said in exasperation. “Just say, ‘I’m sorry!’ And you’re done!”
“No Annie, it’s not that simple.” I said.
“Then what do you suggest we do?” she asked. “Stay here and keep making her jealous? You do know she is gonna get more angry at you, right?”
I scratched my head, thinking hard on what to do. Calling her? No she would just slam the phone on me. Writing? No, she’ll just burn the letter. Then I got an idea…
“Yes, and please send it ASAP to Lorin MacDonnell.” I said onto the phone. “Thank you.” I looked at Annie smugly after I had put the phone down. But she was looking at me like I was a complete idiot.
“What’s wrong?” I asked, my smug smile disappearing.
“You forgot to tell them to put your name on the card.” She said, sinking back onto her seat. I slapped my hands on my forehead, thinking what an idiot I really was.

No comments:
Post a Comment