Marcus:
“No way!” Lorin shouted, standing up.
“Honey, please listen…” Her mom said but Lorin cut her off.
“Why do you keep wanting to ruin my life?” She screamed and she ran to her room, slamming the door.
“I knew that would happen.” Aunt Tina said.
“Well, Tina.” My mom said. “I think we should give her more time. But we are really continuing the marriage.”
“Marcus, do you want to continue with the marriage?” Aunt Tina asked me. I wanted to shout, HELL YEA. But I had to act cool, even I am very happy.
I cleared my throat trying not to smile.
“Of course,” I said.
“That’s great then! We will be going now, Tina.” Dad said. “Give Lorin some time and she’ll be more better.”
“Yes, Tina.” My mom said, giving her a last hug. They looked at me.
“Sweetheart, we have to go back to England. Are you fine here?” Mom asked. I felt disappointed but I nodded anyway.
“Great. We’ll talk later on.” Mom said.
I walked towards my Aunt’s house feeling, at the same time, happy and disappointed. I went to a small bar, not the bar where they sell beer but where they sell great milkshakes. I went in and ordered.
“Double Mocha Choco shake with lotsa Cream.” I said. They nodded and worked on the shake as I went to find myself a table. I sat down near the far corner of the table waiting for my order to come. I noticed some guys were talking behind me and I didn’t want to listen to them but I caught a word, “Richardson International School,” So I perked up and listened to them.
“Hah,” One of the guys said. “Ted really is doing himself good, eh?”
“Right.” A familiar voice said. “I don’t want to forget about Christalle. But there’s this new girl in that school I can’t resist.”
Ted? That must be the so-called Ted Roans behind me.
“Really?” Another voice said “Another girl?”
“Yea. She’s got a great body and a beautiful face.” Ted said. My order arrived and I thanked the waiter and drank the shake, returning to my eavesdropping Ted. “Only I don’t love her of course. That’s only for the publicity of the school.”
I scowled at this. Ted Roans was really a jerk. He was using a girl to become famous in school!
“What d’ya want us to do?” His friends asked.
Ted’s voice became lower but I could still hear him.
“All four of you make sure the press doesn’t hear about this. This’ll be a large scandal. My manager warned me that if ever I date a girl again, nobody would accept me. You know Christalle’s father. He’s got power.” Ted said.
I smirked at this but I wanted to know who the girl was. I have to tell this girl about Ted’s plans…even I know she wouldn’t believe me. They left right after, not noticing that I was there.
Lorin:
“A-and they said we were getting married…” I said to Alexander, nearly in tears. Hey, I didn’t want to cry but when your life is going great and suddenly, your mom and your most dearest aunt and uncle plans an arranged marriage for your dead father, it’ll tear you apart.
“They said that?” Alex asked, appalled.
“Yes…But the marriage will happen when we are old and out of college.” I said.
“Oh…If you want to run away, my apartment’s always ready.” Alex said on the phone, which made me smile. Since his parents are away almost everyday, this left Alex with his nanny and his driver.
“It’s alright.” I said to him. “I guess the trip to the mall with you will cheer me up. Thanks anyway.”
“Are you sure you can live with it? I mean, you can just say no…” he said. I looked at my daddy’s picture, which seemed to be smiling sadly at me and I sighed.
“No Alex. If it was daddy’s last wish, I’d do anything to make it come true.” I told him.
“Alright then. If that’s your choice, I’ll support you all the way!” he said from the other line and I heard a familiar thumping of a football hitting a wall and back onto his hands in which he repeats throwing the ball to the wall.
“Thanks, Alex.” I said. Then deciding to change the topic just to take my mind out of the marriage, I asked casually, “So, when are you planning to ask Annie out?”
“Don’t change the subject.” Alex growled on the other line. I grinned.
“I wasn’t. We were done with that right? Unless you want me to start crying and then be depressed which will lead to suicide, then fine.” I said.
“You always get the better of me.” He said while I finally laughed. “Finally I made you laugh.”
“Yea, yea. Thanks. So, when will you ask her?” I said, repeating the question. There was silence on the other line for a while.
“I don’t know.” He said.
“You don’t know?” I said, unable to believe it. “The great Alexander Cordell. The famous linebacker in RIS and one of the hottest guys in school doesn’t know when to ask a girl out. Wow. You must have been hit by cupid…hard.”
“I’ll try to find a right timing, alright? Now get off my case already.” He said.
“I will.” I said. “See you at school tomorrow.”
“See you then.” He said.
I put the phone down and looked at the Snowdrops. I sighed sadly before going to bed.
Marcus:
I arrived early at school the next day, which was unlike me, but I needed to see who the girl was. I didn’t even want to warn the girl but I had this feeling like I needed to warn her. I ran my hands through my hair, sitting on the steps of the school, watching everyone coming in, as bored as a sloth.
I spotted Annie walking through the school gates, trying to look happy but she failed at it. It was obvious she was still disheartened by what happened yesterday. So was I, but it was just a damn party. We were getting married anyway. I didn’t want to sound to hopeful but I know she wouldn’t let this pass. She loved her father as much as I loved mines.
Annie looked up to see me on the stairs and gapped. I arched an eyebrow and gave her a little wave.
“How’s it hanging?” I asked. She still looked shocked to see me and sat beside me, her bag in her lap.
“You’re early today huh?” she said. “Why?”
“Let’s say I know that Ted Roans is a lowlife freak and I’m to stop him.” I said. I saw a familiar car come in and I saw Alexander go out of the car. I expected Lorin to go out, too but she didn’t. In fact, Alexander went into the school, alone.
Annie and I stared at each other, surprised.
“Where’s his girlfriend?” she asked.
“Probably crying her eyes out since they broke up?” I said, with sudden happiness.
“Huh? They broke up?” Annie said, digesting all these information. “Wait, how do you even know that?”
I looked at her and smiled. “I just do.” I said. Ted Roan’s car came next and I stood up.
“Look, I’ll just see you at break, alright?” Annie said, standing up too. I nodded and she left me there to deal with the lowlife pop star.
I watched as he asked a girl, who seemed happy by his attention, something. The girl looked around and shook her head. Ted thanked the girl but I saw him scowling as he went inside the building, passing me.
Now that was weird.
I sat in the classroom, really brainstorming on what was Ted up to. It was like trying to do a math equation of a university level. I hit my desk with my hands in frustration, making people around me jump. I saw Ted come in and look around, as if searching for somebody. That was my clue. The girl might be in this class!
“Okay.” The teacher said, coming in after Ted had gone. “It’s time for the roll call everyone.” And with that he said aloud each of our names.
“Brown, Marcus?” he asked and I called out a bored, “Present”
He continued on until he arrived at the Ms.
“MacDonnell, Lorin.” He looked around as if expecting Lorin to say present. So was I but I knew she was not here. He frowned, looking around and added a cross to Lorin’s name.
“That was unusual of Lorin to miss school. She doesn’t miss school often.” I heard a girl behind me tell her seatmate. “In fact, she’s the only one who isn’t here.”
Suddenly, I knew who Ted was going to use but I needed to make sure.
Lorin:
I waited that day, after my mom had left me a note under my door saying I didn’t have to go to school, in the mall. I wasn’t happy by this but I couldn’t face that jerk, oh excuse me, my jerk fiancé. Gosh, I didn’t even know if it was real that I had a fiancé. So I waited at our favorite café at the mall, yes at the mall, for Alex. I saw him coming after a few minutes and he sat down to join me.
“How was school?” I asked.
“Boring.” He took out some notes. “Here are the notes you asked me to take.”
I took them happily and put them in my bag.
“I can’t believe I have a fiancé!” I said, drinking my mocha. Alex ordered a cheesecake and turned back to me.
“Yea, sounds unreal but it’s so true.” He said. “Speaking of which, Ted Roans asked for you today.”
I looked up. “Really?” I asked.
“Yeah. Really.” He said. He dug in his spoon in his order, which had arrived.
“Too bad I didn’t go to school.” I said with a sigh, placing my head on my hand.
Alex nodded.
“Yeah. Seems like you got 2 guys heart at the same time.” He said, eating his cheesecake.
“Hah” I laughed sarcastically. “Only one guy. The other one hates me as much as I hate him.”
“But you don’t hate Marcus.” Alex said, surprised.
I shrugged and finished off my mocha. I looked up and raised my eyebrow at Alex, who was gazing deeply at me.
“Do I have something on my face?” I asked.
He shook his head. “I was imagining how I would transform you in the Winter Formal. You know, you are beautiful. You just haven’t shown it yet.” He said.
“What’s the point of showing it anyway?” I asked. He shook his head with a smile as we finished our order. We took the time going in and out of shops and I pretended to be the fussy girlfriend to Alex, which is the opposite actually.
He gave me some tips on clothes that I can wear and look nice and so and so.
I was looking at some dresses, which I can wear to the Winter Formal. As I thought of the coming event I wondered if Ted Roans would be my escort. I could see all the girls looking at me, with jealously. Oh well…dreams are dreams. They never become real.
“Alex…” I asked my best friend/ pretend boyfriend. “Are you o.k?”
He nodded, running his hair through his hands.
“Look, pick some clothes and I’ll be back soon. Just need to use the bathroom.” He said. I nodded and returned to picking some dresses. I wondered what was really wrong.
Marcus:
I sat, bored in the mall, just watching Lorin and Alexander. Alexander actually disappeared.
Then I felt hands pulling my shirt and I came face to face with Alexander.
“What do you want?” he growled. I pulled off his hands from my shirtfront.
“Look, I don’t want any trouble.” I said. He raised his eyebrows skeptically.
“I saw you following us the whole time. What do you want?” he asked again, serious this time.
“I- I wanted to ask something.” I told him. “Is Lorin the girl Ted Roans asked out?”
“Yeah, so what?” he asked. Then he slapped his hands on his forehead as if he did a mistake…which he did actually.
“Why did you let another guy asked your girlfriend out?” I asked. That was just plain weird…unless he’s a player. If he was, I’ll beat the crap out of him.
“Lorin is not my girlfriend.” He said.
“What?” I said aloud, surprised but happy with this new piece of information.
“But we’re dating.” He said quickly.
“So Lorin is the girl Ted Roans asked out!” I said to him. Then I quickly explained what I overheard in the bar that night. Alexander looked shocked.
“That jerk!” he said, but he didn’t say jerk.
“Yeah. You ought to warn Lorin.” I said.
“Why not you?” he asked.
“Dude, she wont listen to me.” I told him as a matter-of-factly.
“So you like her too?” he asked, like he knew it all along but was just making sure.
“Yeah.” I said. Then I saw Lorin coming out the shop and looking for Alexander.
“Hey, she’s coming. I’ll be off now.” I said and I ran off. I went behind the fountain just in front of the mall and watched as Lorin approached Alexander, who was looking for me. Then they went off to another shop. I grinned. So, they weren’t on…I know someone who’ll love to hear this.
But first, beat Ted Roans up…Marcus Brown style.
Or not. But I had a plan in mind to make Ted Roans cancel that date. I wont let anyone hurt Lorin, not if I can help it.
Lorin:
At school the next day, I was psyched to see Ted. I mean…I was prepared for our date today. Another chance for having a boyfriend.
“Lorin.” I heard someone say and I found Ted behind me, smiling.
“Hi.” I said, wondering of my hair was fine.
“Look, Lorin. Can I talk to you?” he asked. I nodded and he lead me somewhere we can talk without people eavesdropping on us.
“So, what do you want to talk about?” I asked.
“I wanted to say sorry…but I have to cancel our date tonight.” He said. I felt like ice had been poured on me on a winter’s day. I still smiled.
“Oh that’s fine.” I said.
He looked relieved.
“Really?” he asked. I nodded.
“I have to go to my classes now. See you around?” I said. He nodded and we went on separate ways. I entered the girl’s bathroom and went to a cubicle…and cried.
Marcus:
“Hey,” I heard someone say and I saw Alexander in front of my desk.
“Hello. What’s wrong?” I asked.
“I can’t find Lorin anywhere. Do you know where she is?” he asked. Lorin, missing?
“I don’t know.” I said. Then I looked at him. “Look, I made Ted Roans cancel the date.”
He nodded approvingly at me.
“That’s great but I think Lorin took the cancellation of the date too hard. She was looking forward to it.” He said.
“Marcus! Marcus!” I heard someone call. I saw Annie outside the classroom. I went over to her with Alexander following.
“Marc-” Annie cut off when she saw Alexander. “Oh, Hi.”
“Hey” Alexander said. I waved a hand in front of Annie’s face.
“Hello! Are you still with us?” I asked. Annie turned back to me, clearly remembering why she was here.
“I heard someone in the toilet and I didn’t care at first. But when I looked at the feet, I realized those were Lorin’s shoes. Lorin’s inside the girl’s toilet, Crying.” She said. I looked at Alexander who looked at me.
“Take us there.” I said.
And we both followed Annie towards the girl’s bathroom. She told us to keep quiet and went inside. After making sure that there weren’t any girls in the bathroom, she told us to enter. Alexander and I looked at each other reluctantly. We were guys. We don’t just enter girl’s bathroom.
“Oh, come in, hurry!” Annie hissed. She hung an ‘out of order’ sign in front of the bathroom as we entered and locked it.
We heard Lorin crying softly inside.
Annie went first and rapped on the door.
“Lorin…” she said. The crying stopped but Lorin didn’t open the door.
I knocked on it, hard.
“Lorin come out. It’s not you. It’s me. I made Ted cancel the date, all right? So come out already!” I told her. The door opened.

No comments:
Post a Comment